- Hits: 159
Author William Parry’s U.S. speaking tour:
Against the Wall: the art of resistance in Palestine
William Parry, a London-based photojournalist who contributes regularly to the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, will be discussing his book, Against the Wall: the art of resistance in Palestine, in an upcoming U.S. tour. He will be giving illustrated talks around the country between Feb. 17 and March 3, 2012 (see itinerary below).
His stunning book of photos (available from the AET Book Club, www.middleeastbooks.com) captures the graffiti and street art that has transformed Israel’s apartheid wall into a livingcanvas of resistance and solidarity. Featuring the work of artists including Banksy, Ron English, Swoon, Faile, Bluand others, as well as Palestinian artists and international grassroots activists, these photos express outrage, compassion, solidarity, peaceful resistance and touching humor. They mirror the wall’s toll on lives and livelihoodsand are coupled with interviews that show the hardship it has brought to tens of thousands of Palestinians, preventing their access to work, education, families, vital medical care and places of worship.
William Parry has given over 50 illustrated talks throughout England, Scotland, Ireland and Canada for advocacy, student and arts groups (the UK launch was held with a talk and exhibition at Amnesty International’s UK headquarters). He has been interviewed on BBC’s News 24 channel, al Jazeera English, Australia’s national ABC Radio, Montreal radio station C-JAD and other media. Against the Wall has received excellent reviews and publicity in a range of media, including Electronic Intifada, Publishers Weekly, the New York Review of Books, street art websites and many others.
From the May/June 2011 Washington Report on Middle East Affairs: www.wrmea.com/pdf/parry.pdf
- Washington, DC, Feb. 17, 6-8 p.m. – Busboys and Poets, Countee Cullen Room, 5th and K Sts. NW, Washington, DC, 20001. http://www.busboysandpoets.com/events.php?loc=2
- Haverford, PA, Feb. 18, 1 p.m. – Haverford College, Chase Auditorium, 370 Lancaster Ave. Haverford, PA 19041. https://www.haverford.edu/calendar/details/197761
- Saugerties, NY, Feb. 19, 1-2:45 p.m. – The Inquiring Mind Bookstore and Café, 65 Partition St., Saugerties, NY 12477. http://inquiringmindbookstore.webs.com/apps/calendar/
- Syracuse, NY, Feb. 21, 7-9 p.m. – ArtRage Gallery, 505 Hawley Ave, Syracuse, NY. http://artragegallery.org/against-the-wall-author-william-parry
- Northhampton, MA, Feb. 22, 5-7 p.m. – Smith College, Seelye 308, Northampton, MA 01063. http://www.smith.edu/world/calendar.php
- Northfield, MN, Feb. 23, 7 p.m. – St. Olaf College, Tomson 280, 1500 St. Olaf Ave, Northfield, MN 55057. http://northfield.org/events/against-wall-art-resistance-palestine
- Portland, OR, Feb. 25, 2-3:30 p.m. – Students United for Palestinian Equal Rights (SUPER), Portland State University, Smith Memorial Student Union, Rooms 238, 294, 296, 1825 SW Broadway, Portland, OR. http://portlandwiki.org/Arab_Spring_Conference:_A_Year_that_Changed_the_World_All_Day_Sat_2_25_12
- Columbia, SC, Feb. 26, TBD – Carolina Peace Resource Center, Columbia, SC. https://www.facebook.com/events/318932451490901/
- Charlotte, NC, Feb. 27, 6 p.m. – UNC Charlotte, time and location TBD.
- Fort Laudedale, FL, Feb. 28 – SJP @ Fort Lauderdale, time and location TBD.
- St. Louis, MO, Feb. 29 – SwP, St. Louis University, time and location TBD.
- College Park, MD, March 1 – University of Maryland, time and location TBD.
- Philadelphia, PA, March 2 – University of Pennsylvania, time and location TBD.
- Columbia, MD, March 3, 2 p.m. – Howard County Central Library, 10375 Little Patuxent Pkwy, Columbia, MD. http://blog.endtheoccupation.org/2012/01/join-william-parry-in-columbia-maryland.html.