Publishers' Page: The State of the World…

An artist’s collage juxtaposes the real-life conditions Palestinian workers face in the occupied West Bank with Scarlett Johansson’s role as SodaStream spokesmodel. (Courtesy Electronic Intifada)

Kerry Lowers His Sights as Netanyahu Creates More Obstacles

Outside the U.S. Embassy in Amman, Jordan, activists demonstrate against U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his peace proposal, Jan. 29, 2014. (Khalil Mazraawi/AFP/Getty Images)

On the “Jewish State of Israel”

A Jewish settler (unseen at left) places the Israeli flag on a road sign as Israeli troops encircle Palestinian villagers protesting the army’s cutting branches off olive trees on a road leading to the illegal Jewish settlement of Tekoa, south of Bethlehe

In Memoriam: Dr. Eyad El Sarraj (1943-2014)

Dr. Eyad El Serraj at a 1993 press conference in East Jerusalem denouncing Israel’s use of torture. (Ruben Bittermann/Photofile)

United Nations Report: Despite Outcome, Ban Was Right to Invite Iran to Syria Talks

U.N. and Arab League envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi (l) and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at the Jan. 22 press conference closing the Geneva II peace talks on Syria. (Philippe Desmazes/AFP/Getty Images)

Yemen’s Insecurity Dilemma

Smoke rises from the site of a suicide car bombing at the Yemeni Defense Ministry building in the capital of Sana’a, Dec 5. 2013. (Mohammed Huwais/AFP/Getty Images)

Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2014 JoomlaWorks Ltd.

Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, June 1992, Page 28

Pander Watch

(Sometimes what politicians say, and where they say it, says all a voter needs to know about their ability to lead rather than to follow the mob.)

Gov. William Clinton in talk to Jewish Community Relations Council of New York, March 31, 1992:

"[The Bush administration] took this [Israeli] forbearance in the Gulf war and stuck it to you. It is not an administration that you can trust to be there when the chips are down. What I want you to feel is that this guy [Clinton]. . . he'll be there at the end of the day, he'll be there."

Gov. Jerry Brown in Democratic presidential debate on WNBC-TV New York, April 5, 1992 (just prior to New York primary election):

"Look, we all know that anti-Semitism has been going on for 2,000 years. And any time people want to scratch a little bit, they can start playing and exploiting that issue, and it's a real temptation. I don't want to accuse the Bush administration of that, but some of the actions they're taking. . ."

Vice President Dan Quayle to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"Fellow Zionists. . . Israel and the United States need each other. We benefit from each other and our alliance is unshakeable because it rests on two firm pillars-strategic interests and common values. My friends, difficulties aside, Israel and the United States remain friends and allies today and we shall be friends and allies forever. . . Not long ago I was disturbed to open the newspaper and to read an article that said, and I quote, 'It is very hard for some Americans to feel the sense of shared values with Israel that they once did.' The article went on to report the belief of some that, and again I quote, 'The case for Israel has increasingly become the almost exclusive preserve of American Jews.' I, for one, do not believe either one of those statements to be true. To imply that Americans-Jews and non-Jews alike-no longer share basic values with a democratic Israel is just plain wrong. And speaking as a non-Jew, let me say this. As long as I'm in public life, the case for Israel will not become the exclusive preserve of American Jews."

Sen. Connie Mack (R-FL) to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"When I find myself in a position in which I have to choose among policy decisions, I choose the policy that I believe will guarantee the freedom and security of Israel."

Sen. Joseph Biden (D-DE) to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"It's in our naked self-interest to see to it that the moral commitment and the political commitment is kept with regard to Israel and that Israel is not the cause of our problem, but the essence of the solution."

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"The administration was absolutely wrong to link loan guarantees with the settlements issue."

Sen. Howard Metzenbaum (D-OH) to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"The (loan guarantees) issue is alive. It is an issue to which we will be turning in the not-too-distant future. I think the vote this evening is an indication that the U.S. Senate does, indeed, believe that the loan guarantees are justified and we say to all of this country and to the world and to Israel that we will return to this subject."

Sen. Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ) to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"We are saying, by not going through with the loan guarantees, that we are not prepared to stand by our word."

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) to AIPAC Conference, April 7, 1992:

"The most distresssing aspect of the administration's rejection of the loan guarantees is that it puts at risk thousands of men, women and children seeking refuge from anti-Semitism and political uncertainty."

Democratic National Committee Chairman Ron Brown to AIPAC Conference luncheon, April 6, 1992:

"There is no question-and I repeat unequivocally-there can and must be no linkage between the settlement issue of a loan guarantee that Israel deserves and must have. Our friend Israel has always paid its debts. We've given a loan guarantee even to our enemies. So it certainly seems logical to me that we must respond favorably to our friend Israel. . . We must make it ever clear that Israel does not stand alone in the community of nations, and that America's support must be absolutely unwavering. My commitment and the commitment of the Democratic Party to a safe and secure Israel is not based on politics. We didn't see polling data. We didn't see an effort to just kind of hold our finger to the wind to see which way the wind was blowing. We didn't really need to look at a whole lot of foreign policy analysis. . . I am also committed, as are most Americans, to the vision of our country's relationship with Israel, which is rooted in history, rooted in shared values, and rooted in a strategic alliance with a strong democratic ally. I believe that America's national interests and security of the state of Israel are inextricably linked. In short, we should and must stand with Israel because it is in our interest and because it is right. . . George Bush and James Baker have rewarded Israel's friendship by escalating tensions to an unprecedented level, not only tensions between Israel and America, but tensions within America itself. When 1,800 AIPAC citizen lobbyists hit Capitol Hill tomorrow, as you have a perfect right to do, Democrats will welcome you with open arms."

Republican National Committee Chairman Rich Bond to AIPAC Conference luncheon, April 6, 1992:

"When my counterpart Ron Brown and I are at an event like this together and I'm standing at this podium I feel almost more like a lone Israeli sentry at an outpost in the Golan Heights. . . AIPAC does outstanding work for American supporters of Israel and around this country in Washington. And I respect what you believe in and I admire the tenacity with which you fight for what you believe is right. . . I don't need to remind you that just a year ago, during the Gulf war, Israel showed true courage. Saddam Hussain tried to divide the allied coalition by drawing Israel into the fray in a strategy of enormous risk. And, as always, Israel and its leaders demonstrated foresight, patience, and strength by showing unprecedented restraint and helped prevent an even greater catastrophe from occurring. . ."

Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) in March 2 House appropriations committee hearing, challenging Secretary of State James Baker for linking U.S. loan guarantees to a freeze in Israeli settlements in the occupied territories:

"In light of this humanitarian need that is great in Israel, why are you putting conditions on that humanitarian guarantee?"

Additional information